Friday, May 8, 2015

Hamtramk - The Polish Town of Detroit

Today I went with my Mom and her (our) friends to Hamtramk. My Mom and her best friend both have a lot of memories of Hamtramk. My Mom had stayed with her grandmother a few weeks in the summer as a child. They'd walk the crowded streets to shop, buying fabric that her grandmother would then sew into her school clothes.

My Mom hadn't been there since she was a kid, and I have never been. We don't live far. It's just never happened. Today my Mom's best friend drove us over there, she goes somewhat often and knows her way around, where to eat etc, and she gave us a small tour of the homes and churches that mean something to her.

It was a really lovely day.

A line of tulips outside the restaurant.


 Stained glass when you walk in.

 Festive lights inside!


 The Polish Plate. Sausage, sour kraut, pirogi, stuffed cabbage, mashed potatoes.

I had dill pickle soup (bottom) and it was delicious. Someone else got duck's blood soup. I took the tiniest taste! Mostly, it was sweet from the fruits they add to combat the acidity/metal blood taste.


From there we went to the bakery down the street!


Of course I got some delectiable looking things, but haven't dug into them yet. I got banana nut bread, a moon pie and a big ole bonbon!

Then, off the the Polish Cultural Center!

Beautiful window display

Fun interior with lots to look at.

 Look at all that polish stoneware! I've never seen so much in one place. It was stunning.


I had to get something. I really wanted a functional baking piece (but the price!), and another mug it is! I'm a sucker for mugs. Look how gorgeous this one is, though.



My Mom and I got the same polish stoneware bead. I was thinking necklace, but maybe keychain!


I also go these wonderfully comfortable felted slippers from Poland! Yes, my feet are that big and I am that pale.

Have a wonderful weekend and mother's day!

No comments:

Post a Comment