Wednesday, April 1, 2015

April Book Edition

At the start of each month I'll have a post dedicated to books. First, the books bought in the previous month, then books read in the previous months, and finally the to be read (tbr) for the coming month. Not sure how well the TBR will work!

So, first up, the books I bought in March

Here we have Flora and Ulysses, Nightbird, Cinder and Scarlet, and The Knife of Never Letting Go. 
Take a look at the colors, very blue and red!

Books read in March:
Conjured, The Darkest Minds, Never Fade (technically still have 100 pages), Cinder and Nightbird
  • Conjured by Sarah Beth Durst: 3.5/5 stars; An interesting read but could have had more. The whole book built up to a part that went really intriguing and different but didn't last long. The book also could have used a heavier hand with editing, too many of the same words used in one paragraph kind of thing. 
  • The Darkest Minds by Alexandria Bracken: 4/5 stars; A good read and a full world. Very immersive and well developed characters. I'm a fan of dystopian and dystopian type books, and this one doesn't disappoint despite being a bit long!
  • Never Fade (book 2) by Alexandria Bracken: 4/5 stars; Doesn't suffer quite as bad as other books, being the second in a trilogy. A lot happens and there are new, different, fully developed characters introduced. There's no twist but there is a lot of action.
  • Cinder by Marissa Meyer: 4/5 stars; This book took me a while to get into. Sometimes you're just not ready for a book. A year later I tried it again and I read it all in two days. It was engaging and exciting and a great, futuristic twist on the Cinderella fairy tale. Lots of action and not just solely about a love interest, though that is an element and I don't mind it in the least. I quickly went off to buy the second and was worried it wasn't just about Cinder. But the reviews told me not to worry and I'm really looking forward to reading it!
  • Nightbird by Alice Hoffman: 3.5/5 stars; For such a well known author who writes delicate, magical books, this wasn't what I expected. I think, as her first middle grade book, she made it too simple. While I knew the characters, the town, and the plot, it just didn't grab me or whisk me away like I wanted it to. There was so much potential but it seemed to skim around the edges the whole time. Beautiful cover and inside cover and still an easy fun read.



Finally, what I hope to read in April:

Redwall, Fortunately the Milk, Flora and Ulysses, Invisible, Scarlet, Bird Box

So many pretty books, right? And, so many books so little time! And, just as a bonus, here's this picture!

This is my study and observation notebook on the bottom, my cloud collectors handbook and, a bookmark my husband designed that the Detroit News will be using/distributing in some way. Cool, right?



1 comment: